Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Lounge > Lounge BS
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
birdmanslopy

Userid:
Default cummins 3.9 4bt 4 cyl turbo diesel

Read a few things about them and seen they put em in rangers off youtube and a lot of other things with 4 wheels like jeeps and stuff lol.
There expensive lil motors, guess you gotta buy a plate to mock it up to a gm tranny and just the plate alone is anywhere from 700$ to 1000$ on ebay.
But if i had 3 grand to spend id do a cummins sooo fast.

105 hp in bone stock form and from what i read mid 350 375 torque.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
D94R
Admin, you moth fockle!

Userid: 28

Are they that dirty all the time? I'd get sick of the smoke. It was cool about 10 years ago when people started to mod the diesels and make serious numbers with them. Now though it only helps to show how big of an inconsiderate redneck jackass you are.
1994 2.3 XLT Turbo
Plans: 2.3 Duratec, 2.3 head, Crane Stg3 Cams, MegaSquirtII V3.0, Large NPR, HE351, 4" Full Exhaust with 4" Cutout, 30PSI

My Ranger Rebuild
D94R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
birdmanslopy

Userid:

the smoke is from people pumping too much fuel in it, some people do it intentionally because it cant hurt the motor, some people do it because it lets you use a little more boost since there mechanical motors and all you do to my understanding is use a egt gauge to tune it and make sure it ant running hot.
ill find the thread again but theres a guy that put one in a f-350, towed a 7k pound trailer at 55 mph with ease, took it up hills and everything and got 25mpg towing it, 33 trailer off.
Id look like an inconsiderate redneck jackass to have that much power
and mpg thats for sure.

also these motors are found in ups trucks, frito lay trucks, bread trucks, kubota tractors and high output generators for industral companys

Last edited by birdmanslopy; 07-14-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
D94R
Admin, you moth fockle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanslopy View Post
25mpg towing it, 33 trailer off.
Id look like an inconsiderate redneck jackass to have that much power
and mpg thats for sure.
With Banks, Edge, and Bullydog tuners, intakes, exhausts, efficient intercoolers and some common sense you can have that much power and mileage with NO smoke.

So yes, you would.
1994 2.3 XLT Turbo
Plans: 2.3 Duratec, 2.3 head, Crane Stg3 Cams, MegaSquirtII V3.0, Large NPR, HE351, 4" Full Exhaust with 4" Cutout, 30PSI

My Ranger Rebuild
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
birdmanslopy

Userid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
With Banks, Edge, and Bullydog tuners, intakes, exhausts, efficient intercoolers and some common sense you can have that much power and mileage with NO smoke.

So yes, you would.
oh im not saying they smoke to make power im just stating that if i was making any amount of power with any diesel and it has to chug out a little black smoke, or even a lot, i wouldn't care what people thought of me if it did.
i know you can tune them to not smoke and still make power, but when you see that ranger in the video pouring out black smoke at the track there not all like that.
hell that 2nd and 3rd video compared to the first is nothing, people in my towns diesels smoke like the 2nd and 3rd video and there full exhaust chipped and all, not stacks.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
D94R
Admin, you moth fockle!

The track Ranger is understandable, but the twin stacked ranger was going down hill (should be just about fully off the throttle) and it was still obnoxiously smoking. And smoke from a diesel is wasted energy as unburnt fuel.

Yes diesels will smoke, its the nature of the beast. But just barely off idle and not getting on it with that much smoke is obnoxious.
1994 2.3 XLT Turbo

My Ranger Rebuild
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
smashed96gt
TRF Member

Userid: 745

The smoke from the last one is light compared to the diesels that run around my area. A co-worker was taking me up to New Jersey to check out a GTO for him and we ran into a Ram 1500 with a 4bt swap so my co-worker had to show off and pretty much black out the Delaware Memorial Bridge. The smoke was just about as thick as the track Ranger. Afterwards the guy with the Ram caught up and gave him a thumbs up. So around here it's encouraged by the diesel crowd.
smashed96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
birdmanslopy

Userid:

same here in florida, theres a limit of how black you blow before people get angry... but if your blowing like the bottom 2 videos thats normal here in florida, if you blow like the ranger at the track usually fhp pulls you over and hooks a sniffer to your ehaust to see if your running farm fuel.
but yea...
cool story smash i laughed on that one
Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
fordnut71
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanslopy View Post
if you blow like the ranger at the track usually fhp pulls you over and hooks a sniffer to your ehaust to see if your running farm fuel.
tell,em the dyed fuel wont change anything for emmisions. its all clear fuel in the depots, the dye is added in the last few gallons.
fordnut71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
birdmanslopy

Userid:

if you run farm fuel on any roads in any diesel vehicle it is a humungus fine, strickly meant for tractors. and by what i was told the farm fuel actually makes your motor smoke more than usual diesel