Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Under the Hood > Lima General discussion
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
AJ_Fritz
TRF Tech Advisor Weld/fab

Userid: 492
Default symptoms of wrong cam timing.

I've been suffering with what i thought was a bad VAM, or possibly too tight of a combustion chamber on the bronco2 or something way out of wack in the new transmission. i swear i been chasing gremlins in this thing for what seams like a year.

here is what i changed when i rebuilt:
93 DP head ported, reshaped polished combustion chambers and filled and reshaped intake runners.

complete redo on the engine harness converted to DIS.

totally rebuilt A4LD to 4.0L specs.

these are the symptoms i was getting from the start and all the chasing around Ive done:

1.)would hold first gear till 30 mph, 2nd till 55, wrong VacMod on trans.
2.)extremely poor gas mileage (8-10 mpg)
3.)seemingly constant load on the engine at anything but idle.
4.)20 inch's of vacuum at idle. zero at cruise past 45mph.
5.)run pretty decent when in boost but felt like it was laboring.
6.)would ping anything more then 8psi under a heavy load (3/4 throttle).
7.)was virtual undrivable in 4wd felt like you had E-brake on.
8.)narrow band AFR light would not act like i should. would go full rich at 0in vac instead of 5psi. also if idling for an extended period would go full rich and then CEL. maybe a bad 02 sensor?!
9.)extended warm up. used to blow warm air in a mile now was taking 5.

why a had a problem figuring out if it was cam timing. i changed so many thing it was like a new swap. i didn't know if the trany was rebuilt right. if i really screwed something up with the head. i was pretty much breaking new ground with the head. i don't know anyone thats filled intake runners on the early ranger head. i basically made it perfect and when it still didn't run right the only thing left was the cam timing.

now why i burnt. way to many things going on. i was like a frog in a frying pan set to simmer. plus the cam timing looked wrong both ways. i swear i line up the crank and anyone else would say its wrong right now lol. i don't have a pointer on the head so i just point the key-way straight down and bam done. done it that way on about 5 2.3 engines so far. never had a problem before. this one just don't look right though either way. its like the belt is stretched a half tooth between the crank idler and cam.

so anyways the dam thing flys now with only 10psi. OD i get 10in vac at 65mph and barely got my foot in it. it doesn't feel or sound like your lugging it around anymore. actually the exhaust note got quieter. I'll be cranking the boost up to 20 psi tomorrow see if it still want to ping.

just because i know what i am doing doesn't mean i know what I'm doing lol cam timing FTL!

its the one and only way to turbocharge your ranger and keep your factory A/C without modifying the heater/AC box and keeping the durability of the E6 turbo manifold.
AJ_Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
speedaddict
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 805

20psi!!! And 4wd. Jealous...

Well i'm glad you got it figured out! Usually always is something so simple its stupid.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
AirBender
TRF Tech Advisor

Userid: 547

bet your exhaust temps went way down too,,,

75 turbo pinto .....built to go......
73 turbo pinto wagon
92 ranger about to be turboed
07 softail deluxe
72 f100
98 gator
08 300C
few things in life are as comforting as a good poop and a moist towelette....
AirBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
jfive
The Patient Ninja

Userid: 878

Yeah i have been wondering about mine being off, cause my belt broke and when I put the new one back on I looked up how to do it and it said the timing needed to be 5 degrees btdc and have the pointer on the head lined up. So thats what I did, and my truck runs okay, but has a stutter at an idle. So in taking apart my new engine, I see that its at 0 degrees and not 5, WTF. I don't have the cam sensor with the oil pump so don't need to worry about that, but I do wonder what is the right cam timing. The new engine is missing the spring for the belt tensioner, so It has probubly been changed or messed with, so I really don't have a good reference to what it should be.
1984 Ford Ranger 2.3 one barrel. 5speed. long box waiting for 351w, turbo.
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
tim98
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 114

you know, a trick that i learned that really worked for me is using the string method. I had a similar problem when building my engine. I sent my timing belt and tried to run it. ran like crap or didn't at all. I spent all weekend retiming the belt. must have did it 5-6 times. Each time I swore it was timed correct and it was according to my plastic belt guard that I got from another year ranger. The timing marks on the cover were in a different position. Ha

Anyway if you take a string and line up the cam bolt, cam timing gear mark, the aux gear timing mark, and aux gear bolt then those gears are perfectly lined up. Match them up with a crank that is TDC and you are good to go.

Happens to the best of us brother.

-2.3 Turbo specs: 84 TC block, .020 Speed Pro Forged pistons, ARP rod bolts, head and intake, LA2 ECU, large Vam, 36lb injectors, manual boost control(set at 15psi), Clutchnet Clutch and pessure plate, Front Mount Intercooler 31x11x3, BOV valve. check out the build here http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=1143
tim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Bossman
TRF Member

Userid: 867

anybody found a really good picture tutorial? Both my Chilton and Haynes totally blowed when I was setting mine up. I had forgot just about everything on how to re-time my 2.3, and some good tutorials would have been a time saver.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
jfive
The Patient Ninja

Userid: 878

I only found that if you google ( 2.3 timing pictures ) it has some. I had the same problem with my online repair guide, just not enough info.
1984 Ford Ranger 2.3 one barrel. 5speed. long box waiting for 351w, turbo.
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
96lowslow
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 726

I didnt wanna screw up the timing either so when I built my engine I bought the Mr.gasket degree wheel and the adapter/holding fixture(it screws into the crank in place of the bolt and holds the degree wheel in place). I bought it from Racer Walsh, I recommend it!
96lowslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
speedaddict
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 805

Yeah i seen that, but i just didnt know how many times i was gonna be messin with the timing belt so i passed on it
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
nagelandy55

Userid: 30

Isn't there a bar method or something like that?

I had a hard time getting my timing right the first time because of the slack in the belt before you install the auto tightener. I'd like to get my timing 100% perfect with an adjustable cam pully so i know what i got. Right now i'm just on stock parts so its really a shot in the dark as to now close it is to perfect.
2.1 Bo-port Cam
Turbo Rods & Pistons
60# Injectors
PMAS HPX MAF - Blow Through
T3/T04B - Stock dp to 3" Exhaust
T5 Swap with B&M short throw
AEM Water/Meth
nagelandy55 is offline   Reply With Quote