Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Under the Hood > Duratec General discussion
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Fordfan444

Userid: 1172
Default 2.3 DOHC aka 2.3 Duratec

Hey guys,

I joined this forum because I'm really interested in the 2.3 Turbo engine.
I have a lot of knowledge about non-turbochared Ford V8s like the 302 and the 351 Windsor but I have a lot to learn about these turbo engines so, please bear with me.

I'm thinking about buying a 2001-2004 Ranger with a 2.3 Duratec engine and I was just wondering if I can put a turbo on it. I'm 99% sure I can, but I don't want to assume anything. I also noticed most of the 2.3 guys on here have the 1999 and earlier OHV engines. Is it more trouble than it's worth putting a turbo on a DOHC 2.3?
I heard Ford put a turbo on the Ford Focus ST. Is this true? (Is it a 2.0?)
If I can't put a turbo on the Duratec would anyone recommend getting a Lima (2.5) over a 2.3?

Thanks in advance,

Fred
Fordfan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
jfive
The Patient Ninja

Userid: 878

you can pretty much turbo anything nowadays. I wish they would use the 2.3 DSI mazda engine that the MX3 and MX6 use, as well as the CX7. Its setup to do upgrades, and is turbo charged allready. It puts out like 244hp and 258tq. Ford is going to be making many turbo vehicles in the future, so they may even make a turbo 2.3 here in the usa someday.
1984 Ford Ranger 2.3 one barrel. 5speed. long box waiting for 351w, turbo.
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
AirBender
TRF Tech Advisor

Userid: 547

do a quick search , theres a guy on here whos building a duratech turbo looking for some big #s..... hes got some very good info so far and i think its gonna be an awsome little truck....

75 turbo pinto .....built to go......
73 turbo pinto wagon
92 ranger about to be turboed
07 softail deluxe
72 f100
98 gator
08 300C
when shit hits the fan,,, you better not be on the down wind side of things...
AirBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Fordfan444

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive View Post
you can pretty much turbo anything nowadays. I wish they would use the 2.3 DSI mazda engine that the MX3 and MX6 use, as well as the CX7. Its setup to do upgrades, and is turbo charged allready. It puts out like 244hp and 258tq. Ford is going to be making many turbo vehicles in the future, so they may even make a turbo 2.3 here in the usa someday.
Yeah, I just learned that you can turbo a 2.3 Duratec but you have to fab. up a lot of parts yourself or it would cost a fortune. It's probably not as bad as the whole "Volvo head project" but there's still a lot of parts that have to be fabricated. RangerGT is doing an awesome build, but he has the skills and the resources to do it.

I wish there was a company out there that would make a Turbo bolt on kit for the Duratec. I'm sure it would produce 280 horses easy.

Has anyone given any thought to putting a 2.0 Turbo charged Duratec from a MX3 or MX6 doner vehicle? I bet the bell housing pattern is different, but how hard would it be to fab up an adapter plate for a manual transmission?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
rangergt
TRF Dura Tech Advisor

Userid: 675

The bellhousing pattern is the same on the mazda and duratec. The mazda disi turbo also shares the same bell pattern as it is from the mzr engine family. http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788 this thread explains a bit about these engines.

If you are really determined to have a turbo dtec ranger then it can be done even on a reasonable budget but you have your work cut out. You could have a local fab shop weld up a manifold that you figure out and design. When you get to this point your at the same point the lima guys are because they have to custom route all their IC plumbing and exhaust down pipe. Not all the guys here have the resources I do but they still come up with great reults on their projects.

The Quest for 9's continues...
rangergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Fordfan444

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergt View Post
The bellhousing pattern is the same on the mazda and duratec. The mazda disi turbo also shares the same bell pattern as it is from the mzr engine family. http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788 this thread explains a bit about these engines.

If you are really determined to have a turbo dtec ranger then it can be done even on a reasonable budget but you have your work cut out. You could have a local fab shop weld up a manifold that you figure out and design. When you get to this point your at the same point the lima guys are because they have to custom route all their IC plumbing and exhaust down pipe. Not all the guys here have the resources I do but they still come up with great reults on their projects.
Thanks for responding to my post RangerGT. I'm glad the Mazda disi turbo shares the same bellhouse bolt pattern.
You're the frontrunner when it comes to turbo chaging a Duratec engine in the Ranger. I hope to have one some day.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
ohiooutlaw

Userid: 1683

How do u knw which engine u have. The durtrac or the lima.
ohiooutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
rangergt
TRF Dura Tech Advisor

Userid: 675

The 2.3 duratec was introduced mid way thru 2001 so if you have a 2001 and newer ranger with a 2.3 it's a duratec. If it's a 2.5 in 2001 it's a lima.

The Quest for 9's continues...
rangergt is offline   Reply With Quote