Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Tuning and tuners > General Tunning Discussion
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Ron83ranger
Encyclopedia Mechanica

Userid: 1224

steve, dont take this wrong, but thats kinda not true about the TC ecu's. they DO have a knock sensor stock and also have 2 timing tables for different octane fuels. also, they run pretty conservative timing tables, especially compared to the SVO PE ecu and run about 10.5-11.0:1 AFR. they have been proven to handle 300hp with no tuning at all, just raised fuel pressure. thats almost 100 more than stock on an SVO or 110 for the TC. and the exhaust manifolds are pretty durable especially the E6 ones. the E3's are known to crack once in a while.

the fuels we have today are somewhat better because of the more detergents put in plus the ethanol helps a little but the octane rating is still the same which will dictate your timing and fueling you can run.

i have personally ran a lot more than stock boost with no tune changes when i had my TC's with no ill effects at all. the only head gasket i ever blew was from a wastegate hose popping off and hitting almost 30psi. motor held up fine.

the funny thing about the stock timing tables in that 80's ecu is that over the years Ford really hasnt changed how they setup boosted motors and ecu's. take the 4.6dohc supercharged cobra, it runs very conservative timing, about 11.0:1 AFR and NO knock sensor with no selectable timing tables for different octane fuels. so you really could say Ford went backwards?

Oh and what turbo forder(new word?) wants to pay someone to do anything for them. its not in our nature.LOL.
1983 ranger: 2.3 t/c short block, arp rod bolts,head studs, p/p head,p/p intake w/rotated upper not gutted, 65mm TB, 1035 h/g, boport stock sized valves, springs, HX35, custom twin scroll header home built, custom i/c w/ garrett core from mack truck, exp 8.8 w/3.73, v8 t5, LA3 w/ tweecer/2012 binary editor w/SD convert., 55lb inj., AEM wideband and boost controller, 04 CVPI alum. 3.5"DS
Ron83ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
stephensimmons
TRF Member

Userid: 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_steve View Post
Best solution imo is to keep your ranger ecu and custom tune from scratch. Tweecer is the easiest option for chip tuning. Trust me i've tried it all.

Makes no sense to have to rewire the ecu and ditch a maf sensor and convert to a crappy vam. Also running an untuned turbocoupe or svo ecu will not get you the best power or reliability / driveability. Folks with problems with head gaskets / manifold cracking , etc etc are the ones who try to go cheap and convert.

The tune part is simple once you get the basics. I can set anyone up with a good turbo base file for tweecer if you need it.
We need to talk because i really want to do this starting this winter and have it ready for spring.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
stephensimmons
TRF Member

Default Decided to go n/a on this one

So I have been doing some figureing and tinkering and i came up ith the idea to remove this

And installed this

I must say it runs a whole lot smooter now Next is a cold air intake out of some 2 1/2" tubeing I have.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
oldcarfart
TRF Member

Userid: 1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensimmons View Post
We need to talk because i really want to do this starting this winter and have it ready for spring.
Feel free to share the info when you get your stuff together, I'm in the upstate where I-26 and 385 meet just south of Spartanburg. And will be using tunes that came with my engine.
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
stephensimmons
TRF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarfart View Post
Feel free to share the info when you get your stuff together, I'm in the upstate where I-26 and 385 meet just south of Spartanburg. And will be using tunes that came with my engine.
I sure will. Most of it im going to post in this thread as i do it sense it is a little chalange but the truck seems to like everything so far. Also we need to meet up sometimes sense I dont mind driving on my weekends off at all. Im in columbia alot and i know thats not far from you or Airbender.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
imaprobowler
IRONMAN

Userid: 1538
Send a message via AIM to imaprobowler

What am I looking at here haha. I know we talked a lot about that little orange thing, and now you have something new! haha please enlighten me

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5l 5spd N/A.
Lowered 4/5.5, staggered, Intake, Exhaust, new BFG T/A's, full swap of all audio and sub for 1500 watts of bump.
1984 Porsche 944 N/A (totaled by 93 year old menace/ 100% her fault)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
That's cause HP is an extension of your dick. Some people only worry about the size, while others only worry about how to use it....

I forget where I was going with that...
Quote:
I just went sterile.
Quote:
She could fart on my face.
imaprobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
stephensimmons
TRF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaprobowler View Post
What am I looking at here haha. I know we talked a lot about that little orange thing, and now you have something new! haha please enlighten me
I does the same thing kinda. It lets you adjust your fuel flow at different rpm points to get it dialed in better. The little orange thing works but I like to play around with thing and sense I had the APEXI from my honda accord days then why not try it? I was always the broke kid around town so I always took what someone else didnt want and figured how to make it work and this thing works. I can richen or lean the fuel flow out at any rpm from 800-7200rpms just by turning a dial. If you leave the dial on 0 then your running the stock fuel flow. If you turn the dial to the - side then you are leaning the fuel flow out by that percentage and if you turn it to the + side you are increasing the fuel flow by that percentege at that rpm. They have been used in boosted apps but are limited to 8-12lbs of boost. Soooo sense im staying na/nitrous it will work perfect for me

Last edited by stephensimmons; 02-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Because I can
stephensimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Ron83ranger
Encyclopedia Mechanica

Userid: 1224

i haven't seen one of them in a while. thats an early version of that controller. they eventually switched to a digital screened version. you can use them on a myriad of setups, from the hot wire MAF, hot film MAF, vane air flow sensor, MAP sensor setups, the karman sensor(on eclipse's)setups. ive played with them before and they work well for their intended purpose, fine tuning fuel curves. and for hondas and toyotas, there's a V-tech controller version.

ive seen them be used to compensate for large injectors on turbo setups on hondas with ok results but in the end wasn't the best way.

do you have a wideband? that'll help you get the best results, since even N/A, the factory runs some motors richer than should be. also, when you lean it some, you will also be raising your timing a little too. not bad for N/A, since ford is also conservative with its timing too.
1983 ranger: 2.3 t/c short block, arp rod bolts,head studs, p/p head,p/p intake w/rotated upper not gutted, 65mm TB, 1035 h/g, boport stock sized valves, springs, HX35, custom twin scroll header home built, custom i/c w/ garrett core from mack truck, exp 8.8 w/3.73, v8 t5, LA3 w/ tweecer/2012 binary editor w/SD convert., 55lb inj., AEM wideband and boost controller, 04 CVPI alum. 3.5"DS
Ron83ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
stephensimmons
TRF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron83ranger View Post
i haven't seen one of them in a while. thats an early version of that controller. they eventually switched to a digital screened version. you can use them on a myriad of setups, from the hot wire MAF, hot film MAF, vane air flow sensor, MAP sensor setups, the karman sensor(on eclipse's)setups. ive played with them before and they work well for their intended purpose, fine tuning fuel curves. and for hondas and toyotas, there's a V-tech controller version.

ive seen them be used to compensate for large injectors on turbo setups on hondas with ok results but in the end wasn't the best way.

do you have a wideband? that'll help you get the best results, since even N/A, the factory runs some motors richer than should be. also, when you lean it some, you will also be raising your timing a little too. not bad for N/A, since ford is also conservative with its timing too.
Yes it is one of the first vertions that I had and wanted to try it out to see if i could get it to work and how well it would work. As you know they are not cheap but not real exspensive either. Now that I know it will work I may upgrade it later as I go on with this. I dont have a wide band yet but it is on the way. And yes the factory tunes are a little rich as you can see at idle i had to turn it back a little to smooth the idle out. I left the rest of the settings the same till i get the wide band though so i dont run it too lean. As for timing im going to use a MSD DIS-2 or 4 Plus box to adjust it a little and also for retard on the nitrous.

Last edited by stephensimmons; 02-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
stephensimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
imaprobowler
IRONMAN

Userid: 1538
Send a message via AIM to imaprobowler

I thought I've seen these before, that's actually pretty interesting how it tunes the fuel curve for intended bonuses. This could compliment a higher lifted roller cam really nicely.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5l 5spd N/A.
Lowered 4/5.5, staggered, Intake, Exhaust, new BFG T/A's, full swap of all audio and sub for 1500 watts of bump.
1984 Porsche 944 N/A (totaled by 93 year old menace/ 100% her fault)

Quote:
That's cause HP is an extension of your dick. Some people only worry about the size, while others only worry about how to use it....

I forget where I was going with that...
Quote:
I just went sterile.
Quote:
She could fart on my face.
imaprobowler is offline   Reply With Quote